Epicentre® (an Illumina company) founded in 1987, has been bringing innovative enzymes and kits to the molecular biology, RNA biology, and sequencing communities for decades. In 2011, Epicentre® was acquired by Illumina®, Inc. largely for access to the Nextera™ technology, a great technological advance for DNASeq library prep, quickly rebranded as an Illumina® product. But what about other well-known Epicentre® brands?
According to an announcement on Epicentre’s website, a similar re-branding of additional products used by the sequencing community is currently underway. Ribo-zero™, ScriptSeq™, Globin-Zero™, ARTseq™, and EpiGnome™ products are available as Illumina® products starting January 16, 2015. European researchers will be able to continue to purchase the Epicentre® brand sequencing products from their local distributor (including tebu-bio) only until March 31, 2015. It is unclear if Illumina® will adjust the prices of kits like the Ribo-zero™ rRNA depletion kits as their website currently does not display prices. Some information posted by researchers in public forums suggests that customers might pay different prices for Illumina® products depending on their purchase history and geographic location.
This re-branding of sequencing products certainly is not the end of Epicentre® in the world of DNA sequencing. Many of the re-branded kits are composed of Epicentre® molecular biology enzymes, and users are actively creating their own sequencing protocols that make use of these enzymes.
Popular Epicentre® molecular biology kits
- Epicentre®’s Ez-Tn5™ transposase enzyme has been used for example to produce high quality DNASeq libraries (Picelli et al. 2014) and is useful for ultra-low input tagmentation-based whole genome bisulfite sequencing for epigenetic studies (Wang et al. 2013 and Adey et al. 2012).
- The End-IT™ DNA Repair Kit has been used in protocols for massive parallel exome sequencing (Ng et al. 2009).
- Similarly, the Fast-link™ DNA Ligation Kit has been used successfully for ligation of indexing primers onto cDNA libraries (Vellichirammal et al. 2014).
The remaining Epicentre® portfolio contains an abundance of unique and innovative products used by members of the genomics, molecular biology, and RNA biology communities.
- Sequence platform customers will continue to purchase Epicentre®-brand FailSafe™ enzymes required for use with the ScriptSeq™ kits and also the very popular TargetAmp™ Kits for enrichment of polyadenylated RNA. The FailSafe™ system is an excellent for PCR optimization for individuals wishing to validate genomic DNASeq SNP results via Sanger sequencing.
- Buccal DNA samples collected with the iSWAB™-DNA Collection Kits from Mawi DNA Technologies and purified using Epicentre’s QuickExtract™ DNA Extraction Solution can be used in large genomic studies to quickly produce PCR-ready DNA.
- The MessageBOOSTER™ cDNA Synthesis Kit for qPCR is powerful enough to be used for reverse transcription on a single cell or as little as 10pg of Total RNA.
- The MasterPure™ DNA Purification Kits are a simple column-free and organic solvent-free way to purifie DNA.
- Ribonuclease R (RNase R) from E. coli is a Mg-dependent 3´to 5´ exoribonuclease that digests almost all linear RNAs but not lariat or circular RNA structures or doublestranded RNA with 3´ overhangs shorter than seven nucleotides.
- Exonuclease I digests ssDNA in a 3´to 5´ direction, but not dsDNA and is active under a wide variety of buffer conditions and can be heat inactivated.
Finally, many users find it economical to purchase the Epicentre® enzymes in bulk and order custom oligonucleotides from a quality provider such as Trilink Biotech who is able to make complex modified oligonucleotides, with index sequences and truly randomized bases (see TriLink’s OligoBuilder®). For these users creating their own protocols, ordering an off-the-shelf kit is not a possibility.
Looking for robust enzymes or flexible solutions in molecular biology ? Collecting DNA for large genomic studies? If you are seeking the finest molecular biology reagents or custom services, you might consider contacting me to learn more about Epicentre® products! Just leave any questions or comments below.